Envisioned and led by WISH Foundation, is a strategic scale up mechanism for promising healthcare innovations that intends to impact the access and availability of quality and affordable primary healthcare at the last mile. The key intent is to build a robust service delivery platform at the last mile, comprising of public, private and entrepreneurship models which can deliver comprehensive curative and promotive services that can contribute significantly to improve critical outcomes for maternal and child health and emerging health needs.
The SCALE mechanism lends impetus to the delivery of primary and preventive healthcare in India, working in close conjunction with state governments, and combining strengths of public-private partners, social enterprises, innovators to accelerate, leverage and economize innovative primary healthcare delivery approaches for the BoP populations.
Strengths Of The Dynamic Structure of Scale
- Platform for government and private sector to bring technical and financial resources to demonstrate the impact of strategic and high impact innovations within the public health delivery system.
- Designed and delivered in partnership with the state governments to address state priorities and challenges and significantly increase coverage for BoP.
- Offers a menu of high impact and locally relevant innovations to governments to address key challenges.
- Mobilizes and leverages financial and technical resources.
- Facilitates scale up of successful innovations within the public and private health system.
- Develops an ecosystem and knowledge hubs for effective knowledge sharing, showcasing and networking of successful scale ups and their replication across India.
SCALE Model for Primary Healthcare Service Delivery
A network of smart health institutions at the last mile that includes fully functional primary health centers and subcenters delivered by leveraging the public health infrastructure and resources and private and social sector partnerships and hi-impact innovations forms the nucleus of the intervention.
The model aims to
- Increase access to quality services at the doorstep
- Reduce out of pocket expenses on healthcare
- Reduce patient-load in higher facilities
- Improve cost efficiency and health impact and high client satisfaction
- Develop a viable market with value chain system for the private sector and inclusive business models to cater to the needs of the BoP with low cost solutions.
Strategic Priorities and Approach
- Strengthen Primary, Promotive and Preventive Healthcare delivery through setting up of smart public health institutions.
- Introduce hi-impact innovations (process, technology and devices) within the public health system which enables doorstep delivery.
- Promote Total Market Approach (TMA) using a combination of Public Private Partnership, Market Based Partnership and Entrepreneur-led sustainable business models.
- Client-centric Approach.
Key Features of SCALE smart PHCs and Subcenters
- Network of smart primary health centers and subcenters through public private and entrepreneurship led models providing
- Qualified MBBS doctors, nurses and health workers at service,
- Reliable timing of service
- 24x7 emergency service
- Doctor consultations, free diagnostics & medicines
- Referrals to specialists at all PHCs
- Family healthcare at doorstep using innovations in medical technologies, devices and efficient processes.
- Family wellness, promotive healthcare and best practices for maternal and newborn care through strategic use mhealth, technologies and capacity development.
- Operational system for referrals between health facilities to ensure quality healthcare and timely referrals
- Strategic collection, use of data and information through an integrated data analytics system to complement state government’s management information systems.